Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Kodak Moment

Don't you hate it when the one time you don't take a camera with you on an excursion of some kind, you wish you had.

I was walking along the beach, 30 minutes a day you got to push play, beautiful clear sky; sun setting, waves gently rolling in.

I had set my self a little goal of where I was going to walk to and that is it. However, I was just about to turn around to head home when a local walking her dog said, "marine watch down there, it is a baby seal". This abnormal mention of a seal acted as a kick up the backside and I decided to keep on walking: don't know where the burst of energy came from: maybe it was the traditional nosey Kiwi bursting within.

500m down the beach was a seal just chilling on the waters edge, not phased by onlookers in the slightest. The budding journalist, in training within, was wondering why there was no newspaper reporters, or if a member from the public had taken a photo and written a little blurb: considering the fact that it was "after hours". I would have taken a photo if I had had my phone on me, but I didn't.

As the saying goes, it is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!!!!

Always be prepared for the unexpected.

The whole way home I was bursting to write a blog (never thought I would be caught saying that). It goes to show that I too have been caught hook, line and sinker. The digital revolution IS the way of the future!

1 comment:

Sarah Byles said...

Trin, I totally agree with you. My little anectdote:
When I was in Hawkes Bay the other month, I spent half the weekend with Geoff Ridder (who works in our photography department, but is also pretty much the best motorsport photographer in NZ) and we went into somewhere... I think it was a resturant (Edit: probably when we visited the service park early actually) and he took his camera with him.

I asked "Should I be bringing mine?"
To which he replied, "You never know when a photo-moment will happen."

I thought this was quite fitting to your little story about the seal :)