Monday, August 25, 2008

"Becoming the BEST YOU Possible"

As a student of the 'y' generation there is an aspect of life that constantly needs attention: that is the age old thing of balance; student; work; social network; life balance. Without balance we find ourselves either consumed by one aspect in our life; or by a lot and find ourselves getting stressed.

It was after a conversation with Ang about stress of uni on top of other extra curricular activities that we tend to put our bodies through.

So, I went swimming (searching) and found Carolyn Clarke's blog which then led me onto an e-book of hers giving a guide to work life balance. The main thing that stood out to me was the signs of imbalance that were strongly related to stress symptoms. Just by reading down the list of imbalance you can decipher just how stressed you are. BUT, Carolyn stipulates not to judge yourself but instead to be interested in what you've learned about your stress and imbalance level. It is likely to confirm "that you need to adjust your lifestyle to include new strategies for a healthier you. The good news is, you CAN experience yourself and your life in healthier, happier ways...addressing six steps!"

The six steps are:

  1. Tips for BEST YOU Physical Balance.
  2. Tips for BEST YOU Emotional Balance.
  3. Tips for BEST YOU Mental/Attitudinal Balance.
  4. Tips for BEST YOU Social/Relationship Balance.
  5. Tips for BEST YOU Creative/Spiritual Balance.
  6. While at Work Tips for Balance.

These 'BEST YOU' steps cover all areas of life: the physical; the mental; and life.
A point that captivated me was when Carolyn stated that 'balance' cannot not be found but only created. It is the above six steps that helps to support you to create this for yourself!
I leave you with this quote from Carolyn,

"Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to make yourself priority enough to embrace coming alive and become the BEST YOU...... for a life in good balance!"

That is the mission; take it or leave it!

3 comments:

Sarah Byles said...

Balance = Doesn't exist.

Well in my life/opinion anyway.

I can't see a world where I'm not up to neck in projects.

Maybe once I/we finish this course.

But really, at the moment, juggling motorsport, part-time work, and tech.. and my lack of social life outside these avenues. Balance for me just doesn't exist.

Germ said...

and don't forget family and day to day cleaning!

Reading a few of the stress criteria i though some of them canceled each other out.

For example- feeling tired and fatigued and not eating well.

I consider it common knowledge that if you don't each well you are likely to be tired and fatigued.

Nevertheless striving for balance is a positive thing.

I have my own 6 points I think are vital for a well-balanced life

1) i need to accomplish things to feel good about myself

2)I need time with friends/family to feel loved

3)I need time by myself to unwind/reflect/relax

4)I need to work to support myself

5)I need to clean/cook because takeaways and dirty showers are gross

6)and I need to exercise for my health and esteem

Katrina Beaumont said...

I guess it just goes to show that despite the advice that we can get ahold of; balance is something we do in our own way.

I think it is fair to say that if one's life has order then one's life activities/involvements will be balanced for a semi stress free lifestyle.